Monday, April 2, 2012

commitment

I wanted to just briefly share what an incredible weekend I had.  For many of you, I am sure it will be no big deal,  but for someone who is so crazy about football (especially college fb and LSU) this was an opportunity of a lifetime.  Ben and I were invited to accompany KJ and the Malone family to the spring game and big recruiting weekend for LSU. The day began with a tour of the facilities and the Spring game.  We did not have any ordinary seats.  We were on the field right in the action.  After the spring game,  there was a bbq inside the indoor football facility with the players and recruits.  Then we were whisked off into the operations building to meet with Coach Miles and the other coaches on staff. 

I have to admit that I am a pretty tough critic when it comes to Les Miles and wasn't quite sure what to expect. After having met him, let me first say what an eloquent speaker he is which is very surprising considering how he fumbles his tv interviews almost weekly.  The second thing I love about him is how family oriented he is.  His wife came into his office when we were all talking and couldn't be nicer.  When Saban was there he always had a 2 hour window when family could visit ect... Miles' philosophy is family can come anytime, anywhere.  To spare the details and respect the privacy of the Malone's, I won't go into the conversation details, but I experienced firsthand while Miles is a great recruiter.  And the best part is, I firmly believe he comes from a genuine place which I respect very much.  I kept imagining how I thought Nick Saban would do it and I just can't imagine it being as sincere.  Finally, the recruitng coordinator Frank Wilson did an amazing job with a reassurance speech to bring it home. 

None of us expected a commitment out of KJ because so many other top notch schools are interested.  He had really talked about keeping his options open but LSU just swept him off his feet and rightfully so.  Everything was so amazing that I would have committed if Les had asked me.  The best part is a commitment truly means something to KJ.  I don't think there will be any going back and forth and changing his mind.  I am so proud of him and honored to have experienced such an amazing moment in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment